This is an introductory course in the Session Initiation Protocol. The topics covered by this course are the following:
- An overview of SIP including the key features and standardization history.
- The addressing components used by SIP: the SIP Uniform Resource Identifier.
- The SIP functionality.
- The SIP entities: user agent (client and server), proxy server, registrar, redirect server and back-to-back user agent.
- The SIP protocol: functional layers, messages, methods and status codes, headers, the Session Description Protocol (SDP) body, SIP transactions and SIP dialogs.
- The SIP extensions: overview, new methods and examples.
- An overview of Peer-to-Peer SIP.
Last updated: February 20, 2013